Egg salad (Excellent) news!
Healthy Food Reviews have talked about the excellent egg salad, which is a major part of our new healthy diet. We added it to our evening meal plan because in some cases you can have too much meat. Not everyone will agree on that though. Healthy Food Reviews added it to our meal plan the day before weigh day to ensure positive results when we stepped on the scales! Finding and adding new recipes like this to add to our diet was important because of the gluten intolerance that we had learned of just before lockdown.
So, essentially, what we are saying is that… if you are looking for a balanced and healthy salad complete with greens, grains and protein, you’ve found it! Stop looking around. Head to Tesco and find the ingredients and get started. It won’t take you long to make. This egg salad is balanced with healthy carbs, fats, fibre and even some protein to round it off. It’s perfect, in our opinion, for your weight loss diet.
- 100g brown rice
- 2 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbsp whole almonds
- 1 tbsp pistachio kernels, chopped
- 3 zucchinis
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 100g mung bean sprouts or mixed sprouts
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 15g cup mint leaves
Instructions to make the perfect Egg Salad
- Like all cooked rice, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter because you can’t reheat rice. Cook until tender, drain the excess water and let it cool down in a large bowl.
- Slowly toast the sunflower seeds, almonds, pepitas, and pistachios over medium heat in a dry frypan for 1-2 minutes. You don’t have to have all these additional extras but it could be worth it. It does add flavour and variety to the meal. You can then these add to the bowl of cooled rice.
- The third step is to carefully grate 2 zucchinis and gently squeeze them to remove any excess water. Thinly slice the remaining zucchini and add both to the rice mixture with spring onion and sprouts. It honestly adds so much flavour. Also, it’s green which isn’t exactly a bad thing…
- With the penultimate step, combine the oil, lemon juice and honey together, then season. Add to the salad with the avocado and half the mint, then gently toss the mixture to combine it all. Scatter the mint and parsley you have leftover all the salad.
- The most important part. The eggs. Slowly hard boil the eggs in a saucepan full of water. Bring it to the boil and place them aside in a bowl. You can leave them to cool before adding them to the salad, or if you prefer them warm, slice and mix them up within the salad.
Healthy Food Reviews would give this meal a 9/10 on the healthy recipe scale! The only negative is you may need to have a big breakfast to balance it out.
Remember – this is only an opinion of what we thought of the diet. You may disagree with the egg salad recipe and taste, but we do want to share what we think. It does help some people looking for healthy recipes to make an informed decision!
You can find the original recipe here: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/brown-rice-avocado-salad